Whoo-Hoo! We have passed the halfway mark of the week 😛 This week was my first week back at varsity, and ohmygaaash, has it been a drag! However to get you into the weekend mood I am going to share this bun-less burger recipe with you guys 😀
I absolutely looove a good burger, but I don’t really eat them because of the crabs involved. So instead of having a regular burger, I make these ones with lettuce leaves as the ‘roll’.
What you need:
- a chopping board
- a frying pan
- chopping knife
- a mixing bowl
- a serving platter
- One head of lettuce (or as many leaves as you need)
- Big tomatoes
- Cheddar cheese
- Secret sauce 😉 (tomato sauce and mayonnaise mixed together)
- One big onion
- Mince to roll into patties
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Coconut oil to fry in
- Slice the tomatoes, gherkins/pickles and cheese and place on the serving platter.
- Carefully pull whole lettuce leaves from the head of lettuce, chop the root-end off and rinse with water. Then place as many as you need (about 1 or 2 per person) on the serving platter.
- Mix the sauce together and place in a small bowl with a teaspoon for serving.
- For the patties – place the mince in the mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper (about a teaspoon of each) mix together using your hands, roll into small bowls and flatten a little bit for frying. Use coconut oil to oil the pan for frying, and fry the patties until golden brown on both sides. Once these are cooked place in a serving dish and keep them warm in the oven/warming draw until serving.
- Chop up the onion into rings and fry these in the pan with the left over oil from the patties. You can add a teaspoon of sugar to caramelise the onions if you want 🙂
- Pace the onions on a serving tray or in a bowl.
- And enjoy! (you can see how to construct it from the picture, I only used one lettuce leaf but you can use two.)